POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge : Re: Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge
From: Alain
Date: 6 Mar 2013 20:55:13
Message: <5137f381$1@news.povray.org>

> Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>>
>> Looking at your sample, you could use a single large block for the
>> water, or even a simple plane.
>> A large block would be dimentioned to cover the surface of the water
>> area and be thick enough to reatch the bottom of the "lake".
>>
>> If you need/want to have dry openings, you'll need to cut some holes
>> using a difference.
>>
>> Another way would be to make some stacked prisms, one for each layer and
>> merge them. That way, you don't need to cut holes, but would get longer
>> rendering times.
>
> In that sample scene, yes.
>
> Are you familiar with the game Minecraft?  I'm writing a program that converts a
> world created in Minecraft into a POV-Ray scene.  Where the water blocks are can
> be somewhat random, and not necessarily in large chunks that can easily be
> turned into a single large box or plane.  Bodies of water can be as small as a
> single block, or spanning miles across.  Their shape will vary just as much.

I've heard/read a good deal about it, but never played it.

If you use a plane for the water, it's easy to cut holes in it's
surface, just use a clipped_by{box{Corner1, Corner2 inverse}}
This will punch a hole without any side as you would with a difference.

Once the hole is made, you don't need to bother with the shape of the
underground part.

A single plane can take care of all your water areas, no mather how
large, what shape or number as long as they are at the same level. I
don't know if you can have water blocks on a hill or down a valey... but
some prism may do the trick.

Alain