POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge : Re: Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trouble with coincident surface in a CSG merge
From: Alain
Date: 5 Mar 2013 16:06:32
Message: <51365e58$1@news.povray.org>

> I'm currently working on a program that converts a Minecraft world into a
> POV-Ray scene, and I'm having real trouble with water.
>
> To make water blocks act like a solid object so that I don't see the sides of
> each block, I take all the water blocks in the world and put them into a CSG
> merge object, which in theory should make them solid.  Unfortunately, it isn't
> working out that way.
>
> If each block in the merge is exactly 1 unit wide, then I get lots of odd pixels
> where the water meets the land underwater.  This is understandable, since the
> water block edge is coincident with the land block.  So as a work-around, I
> tried making each water block slightly large (1.02 blocks wide), but this
> creates odd seams at the surface of the water.
>
> Example renders are at http://imgur.com/a/rCDCG
>
> A couple notes about my scene:
> - Vertical runs of the same block type are saved as a single tall box object to
> reduce the number of objects in the scene.
> - The hole in the world is from an optimization that stops looking for blocks
> below a certain y-coordinate, again, to reduce objects.
>
> Any ideas how to fix the coincident surface problem where the water meets land
> without create a coincident surface problem at the surface of the water without
> manually creating a mesh?

Looking at your sample, you could use a single large block for the
water, or even a simple plane.
A large block would be dimentioned to cover the surface of the water
area and be thick enough to reatch the bottom of the "lake".

If you need/want to have dry openings, you'll need to cut some holes
using a difference.

Another way would be to make some stacked prisms, one for each layer and
merge them. That way, you don't need to cut holes, but would get longer
rendering times.

Alain