POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Simulated urbanism scene : Re: Simulated urbanism scene Server Time
29 Apr 2024 04:59:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simulated urbanism scene
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 3 Mar 2013 03:04:46
Message: <5133041e$1@news.povray.org>
On 2-3-2013 20:16, MichaelJF wrote:

> Thank you for this guidance. I will play with this parameters as soon as I have
> time to do so.

The whole thing is a proof of concept and open to improvement/extension.
For the time being it - almost - does what I want it to do, but I am
exploring a few additional issues which trouble my satisfaction, and
possibly I shall get stuck. If so, I shall call for help ;-)

> At the moment I'm combing cats (Poser cat with dynamic hair). I
> found a way to display dynamic hair by analysing the obj-output of Poser and
> convert the lines to simple meshes to simulate hair. Unfortunatelly I have to
> use software which is not known here but I'm accustomed to it. PoseRay quitted
> after some 30.000 different but very simple meshes (I think I tried only for
> tubes with 30 vertices each) with an out of memory error.  I have run tests now
> and observed that POV can handle a million of them (ok, I reduced them further
> to only 15 vertices). Unfortunatelly I have not the time to convert the code
> from my special statistical software to C++, but your problems about beards you
> reported here the one or other time could be solved with this approach. And
> easily.

Oh, this is interesting indeed! Beards are doing fairly fine in Poseray
but a cat...

If you can come up with a nice solution to the dynamic hair problem, I
shall be more than interested.

Thomas