POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes : Re: Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes Server Time
1 Jun 2024 20:48:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes
From: Friedrich Lohmueller
Date: 1 Mar 2013 04:18:44
Message: <51307274$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.03.2013 07:08, schrieb Kenneth:
> My own concept of the axes (putting aside what I learned in school) is kind of
> an odd one--or maybe not so odd?  I've been sketching things all my life
> (mechanical stuff mostly, in semi-perspective views), and 'right' is +x
> naturally, but z is *mostly* INTO the page, and y is *mostly* up, but kind of
> sticking OUT of the page a little. (Similar to an isometric view when drafting,
> but not as extreme.) Maybe this is why POV's left-handed system was such an easy
> learn for me.
Well, that depends on how we start a plan and how we continue.
Starting with the front view:
   x right, y up. The house behind the front goes to +z = left-handed.
Starting with the top view on ground plan:
  x right front line, y = depth, so z = up seems okay! = right-handed.

Interesting the different positions in the last 4 contributions here!
So all positions are justified - except those, who want to
declare a type of system as 'natural' and 'absolutely correct'!

Her in Germany, some regions, by 'orders from above', have decided that
their teachers at school must use a right-handed system.
And teachers, who use POV-Ray at school, are often confronted with
big resistances, because 'it is using a wrong system of coordinates'.
The students themselves do not have so much trouble with it.
  :-)

Friedrich