POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes : Re: Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes Server Time
1 Jun 2024 20:59:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes
From: clipka
Date: 28 Feb 2013 23:41:20
Message: <51303170@news.povray.org>
Am 01.03.2013 04:14, schrieb Alain:

> In my math classes when looking at geometry, we only used the
> left-handed coordinate and rotation system. Also, Y was always UP and Z
> forward, NEVER relative to the paper's surface.
>
> It was the same in my physics courses.

What? For us it was /always/ right-handed, for both maths and physics. I
can't believe it's different across the world in such disciplines.

... unless of course you use a different scheme to assign axes to the
fingers. We used thumb=X, index=Y, and middle=Z.

> The right-handed system is mostly used by architecs, and, as most early
> modeling applications where made for architecs, it stuck. It's also why
> we have the infamous Z for the up direction. Architecs use the X and Y
> axis along the ground and on paper where +X is right and +Y is the top
> of the paper.

If you put a proper math-style 2D coordinate system (X axis right, Y
axis "top") onto paper, and then add +Z as height above ground, that's a
left-handed system to me.