POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes : Re: Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes Server Time
9 Jun 2024 12:09:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes
From: Alain
Date: 28 Feb 2013 22:14:22
Message: <51301d0e@news.povray.org>

>   'right-handed' is just a convention, often used math teachers,
> to make it easier to talk about how axes are orientated and how
> angles turn. (later they tell us, that electrons are left-handed :-))
> POV-Ray is able to do also very inconventional things.
> That's very good!
>
> Friedrich

In my math classes when looking at geometry, we only used the
left-handed coordinate and rotation system. Also, Y was always UP and Z
forward, NEVER relative to the paper's surface.

It was the same in my physics courses.

The right-handed system is mostly used by architecs, and, as most early
modeling applications where made for architecs, it stuck. It's also why
we have the infamous Z for the up direction. Architecs use the X and Y
axis along the ground and on paper where +X is right and +Y is the top
of the paper.