POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : When is pov 4.0 comming out? : Re: When is pov 4.0 comming out? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: When is pov 4.0 comming out?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Feb 2013 21:09:43
Message: <512c1967$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 00:16:33 +0100, clipka wrote:

>> Actually, what's been stated is that 4.0 is going to be released under
>> a new license (GPLv3 IIRC, but I could be remembering incorrectly). :)
>
> That's actually planned for 3.7 proper. It'll be AGPL though (the
> difference being that it also covers online services).

That's good to know, I hadn't heard that.  I remember Chris' announcement
from a couple years back that it was a 4.0 target.

> POV-Ray 4.0 is likely to see distributed rendering (which yet again
> requires quite some work under the hood, even though multiprocessor
> support already took a huge step in that direction), and a major
> overhaul of the parser (essentially a complete re-write, presumably with
> changes in the syntax).

That's good to know as well.  I've been playing with Blender's new Cycles
renderer off and on for the past few months, and I like the results, but
I wish it had better configuration for distributing the render (I'm
trying a test animation render of 500 frames at 720x480/29.97 fps on a
quad-core system, and it's going to take more than 4 days to complete.
That's what I get for playing with glass and reflective spheres with the
new rigid body physics engine).

> The RC are called Release Candidates because we want the 3.7 release
> proper to be as stable as possible, and the original plan was actually
> to feature-freeze 3.7 during the RC phase, but we found that some
> features called for additional changes that we rather wanted to do in a
> 3.6 -> 3.7 transition rather than a 3.7.0 -> 3.7.1 transition (most
> notably gamma and alpha handling in RC1 as well as subsurface scattering
> syntax and a new installer in RC4). So with more extensive testing being
> inevitable, we dared throw in some additional minor features along with
> them.
>
> Since RC4 new features have been added only very sparingly.

Great info, thanks!

Jim