POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : When is pov 4.0 comming out? : Re: When is pov 4.0 comming out? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:27:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: When is pov 4.0 comming out?
From: clipka
Date: 25 Feb 2013 18:16:34
Message: <512bf0d2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.02.2013 20:09, schrieb Jim Henderson:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 13:46:58 -0500, Trevor G Quayle wrote:
>
>> software.  Arguably, any number of the RC versions could've been
>> upgraded to "POV 3.8", etc..  The only thing that would represent a
>> traditional step to "POV 4.0" would probably be more a change in the
>> interface, however, in the sense of how POV operates, this would be less
>> minor than it would imply as POV is more about the underlying power and
>> function than how the interface looks (it is not a modelling software).
>
> Actually, what's been stated is that 4.0 is going to be released under a
> new license (GPLv3 IIRC, but I could be remembering incorrectly). :)

That's actually planned for 3.7 proper. It'll be AGPL though (the
difference being that it also covers online services).

POV-Ray 4.0 is likely to see distributed rendering (which yet again
requires quite some work under the hood, even though multiprocessor
support already took a huge step in that direction), and a major
overhaul of the parser (essentially a complete re-write, presumably with
changes in the syntax).

The RC are called Release Candidates because we want the 3.7 release
proper to be as stable as possible, and the original plan was actually
to feature-freeze 3.7 during the RC phase, but we found that some
features called for additional changes that we rather wanted to do in a
3.6 -> 3.7 transition rather than a 3.7.0 -> 3.7.1 transition (most
notably gamma and alpha handling in RC1 as well as subsurface scattering
syntax and a new installer in RC4). So with more extensive testing being
inevitable, we dared throw in some additional minor features along with
them.

Since RC4 new features have been added only very sparingly.