POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : When is pov 4.0 comming out? : Re: When is pov 4.0 comming out? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: When is pov 4.0 comming out?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Feb 2013 16:37:09
Message: <512bd985$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:41:29 -0500, Trevor G Quayle wrote:
>> Actually, what's been stated is that 4.0 is going to be released under
>> a new license (GPLv3 IIRC, but I could be remembering incorrectly). :)
>>

> Granted that is something that would probably necesitate a version
> upgrade

Well, there's nothing that *requires* a version number change, as version
numbers are largely arbitrary.

> But also, the way I understand it (not a versioning expert) is that
> versioning has to do with how 'big' of a change it is (does it warrant a
> full upgrade: 3.0 to 4.0, or a smaller upgrade: 3.7 -> 3.8 or 3.7 ->
> 3.71).  This is tough to pigeonhole with current POV development as new
> items have been added throughout the RC process without a corresponding
> change in versioning.

How "big" a change is is very much in the eye of the beholder.  It's
difficult to quantify, especially when you use an iterative development
model that uses incremental changes rather than mass implementation of
new features.

> I guess my whole point of this is that I have seen the "release
> candidate" tag kick around for quite awhile, which would imply some
> minor fixing of bugs, when in reality it has become much more than that.
>  Significant changes and additions have been included in the releases
> candidates, and the current discussion do give any sign that this will
> change anytime soon.

Perhaps, though I think there is at some point a feature lockdown.  Chris
would be a better person to answer that.

> Again, these are just random discussion points on how to break out of
> the 'when is the new version coming out' mindset that doesn't work very
> well for POV.

:)

Jim