POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Bug in PovRay 3.7 RC7 ?! : Re: Bug in PovRay 3.7 RC7 ?! Server Time
29 Apr 2024 14:11:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in PovRay 3.7 RC7 ?!
From: clipka
Date: 23 Feb 2013 15:46:33
Message: <51292aa9$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.02.2013 21:02, schrieb Alex:

> I encounter an error that does not make sense to me (I am using POV version
> 3.7.0.RC7.msvc10.win64 on a Win 7 64 bit OS with 32 GB RAM).
>

> starts without any problem, but then after a few frames (and this number varies
> randomly: sometimes 3, sometimes 9, etc.), it suddenly stops with the error

Uh-oh... this doesn't sound very encouraging.

> FYI (1) - you need around 12 GB RAM to render this animation and with my i7 2.4
> GHz quadcore it takes around 15 min to run one frame...
>
> FYI (2) - in RC6, the same animation produced the error similar to
> http://bugs.povray.org/task/257.
>
> Any suggestions on how to tackle this problem?

Yup: Please add a comment to http://bugs.povray.org/task/257; it sounds
to me like the issue hasn't been fixed for good yet.

> Or am I doing something wrong?

RAM shouldn't be the problem (you have more than enough, and even if it
wasn't sufficient you'd end up in Swap Hell instead of seeing the render
abort.

Render time shouldn't play a role either: No matter how long it takes,
once POV-Ray is convinced that the render threads have been started
successfully, it should wait patiently until they do finish (even if it
takes a lifetime) or the /user/ gets impatient and hits the "stop"
button. (In that case it may well happen that the render threads are so
deep into math that they take longer to respond than POV-Ray is willing
to wait /then/, but from what you describe you're not hitting any button
during the render.)

As for scene content or render settings, there's no conceivable way to
provoke the error message you're seeing.

So no, chances are very, very slim that we might be able to blame it on you.