POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes : Re: Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes Server Time
4 May 2024 21:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Requesting user feedback: POV-Ray v3.7 scenes/includes
From: clipka
Date: 20 Feb 2013 06:32:44
Message: <5124b45c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 20.02.2013 06:09, schrieb Sven Littkowski:

> Rather than including thousands of scenes, why not to think about a "Life"
> feature which allows to download from a special online folder sample scenes,
> sorted by subject (keyword)?

Let's get real. We're talking about the 3.7.0 release package here, and
we're long past feature freeze for the code.

That aside, there are other reasons not to implement such a thing. For
one, such a feature would require a proper front-end; the command-line
won't really cut it, so it won't fly for the Linux version. And then
there's the problem that someone would have to implement it. Someone
with, you know, a bit of time on their hands and no higher-priority
ideas of what to implement next.

Let's see... integrate a bunch of features that have accumulated during
3.7.0 feature freeze; redesign radiosity pretrace to work with
distributed rendering; contribute to re-writing the parser from scratch
and maybe re-invent the whole SDL; weed out the remaining C-style data
structures from the C++ code; add support for color profiles; add
support for post-processing like lens flares and stuff; write patches
for stochastic rendering, spectral rendering, and polarized light; add
performance improvements for SSLT; rewrite the radiosity tutorial;
implement mesh subdivision; implement direct import of .obj files; add a
feature to dump arbitrary scene elements back to an SDL file; add a
feature to convert arbitrary objects to meshes; implement direct export
of meshes to .obj files; implement NURBS support; write a patch to
implement Metropolis Light Transport; take a DEEP breath and look around
to see what else has cropped up in the world of rendering by then... ah
yes, and let's not forget to weed out the legion of issues found by
Coverity and other statical code analysis tools...

... well, no - not me, I'm afraid; I'm booked out till June next life as
it seems.