POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reflections/Highlights: 1. Facettes on a Cylinder? 2. Angle-Dependent Color= : Re: Reflections/Highlights: 1. Facettes on a Cylinder? 2. Angle-Dependent Color= Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflections/Highlights: 1. Facettes on a Cylinder? 2. Angle-Dependent Color=
From: clipka
Date: 4 Feb 2013 16:21:55
Message: <51102673$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.02.2013 19:36, schrieb Sven Littkowski:

> 1
> I have a cylinder and would like to know, if it is possible to make that
> cylinder appear like made of thousands of hexagonal facets, in the way the
> cylinder reflects light or how its shaded areas are.

Depends on what exactly you want to achieve. How about the hexagon
pattern with a cylindrical warp?

> 2
> Some materials in nature or our environment appear being in one color when seen
> from one angle, but when the viewer's angle changes, they appear in another
> color. Does POV-Ray allow such an effect, and if, how?

That's a definite yes: The aoi pattern (new in POV-Ray 3.7) was added
with exactly such effects in mind.

You might also want to try the irid keyword, although it only caters to
one particular angle-dependent physical effect (thin film interference).
Its implementation in 3.6 was crappy, but it has been reworked for 3.7.