POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: Humans in Ancient Costumes : Re: Request: Humans in Ancient Costumes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: Humans in Ancient Costumes
From: clipka
Date: 1 Feb 2013 14:30:02
Message: <510c17ba$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.02.2013 18:10, schrieb MichaelJF:
> "Sven Littkowski" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am in need of some figures in ancient costumes. I am reconstructing ancient
>> Roman and Byzantine merchant and war ships, and need to populate the decks with
>> some life.
>>
>> I would need soldiers of all types (archers, regular, ballista and catapult
>> crew) and all hierarchic levels and in various positions, but also ship crew
>> (sailors, rowers, loaders, navigators and captains). I know about their clothing
>> and could assist here.
>>
>> Is here anyone who want to help?
>
> If you are interested in real looking figures and will have them displayed at
> close distance you can only use professional software. In a related thread from
> you I proposed to use blobman but you will run into problems with the clothing.
> Even if you have the money to buy a license of Poser (some 140 Euro at Germany
> at least) you will have no clothing from ancient centuries (one middle age male
> tabbard is included). There are some free resources (shareCG.com) but you will
> mainly find lingerie (since that is the view the users of this sides want to see
> their models). You will not find ancient or male clothing (only very, very
> little). They all seems to will depict naked or half-naked women only. If you
> are looking for this, you are at a rich ressource, but not if you will depict
> real life about the romans, the celts or other ancient cultures. At other
> resources you can find the desired products, but you have to pay for them
> (renderosity, turbosquid, DAZ), ... and they are not cheap.

If the financial limit is any higher than $0.00, it might be worth
checking whether DAZ 3D has any suitable items in the Platinum Club
Items category. Those are $1.99 apiece for Platinum Club Members, so a
membership might pay off. (They also seem to have some sale on Fantasy
stuff going on right now.)

BTW, DAZ 3D Studio Pro is free (as in free beer) and can handle most
Poser content.