POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison) : Re: meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison) Server Time
16 May 2024 19:43:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison)
From: Alain
Date: 31 Jan 2013 16:03:43
Message: <510adc2f$1@news.povray.org>

> John VanSickle <evi### [at] KOSHERhotmailcom> wrote:
>

>> You can see the two animations where I do this here:
>>
>> http://www.irtc.org/anims/2004-10-15.html
>
> Is this one supposed to be so short? The file is only a couple of seconds long;
> looks like it has been truncated.
>
>> http://tc-rtc.co.uk/imagenewdisplay/animation/index92.html
>
> Very cool. Some nice effects there; the wormhole/hyperspace thing is really
> good. And I do like your acceleration/deceleration of the camera pan. My own way
> of doing that is kind of cumbersome (and not wholly effective.) For the
> acceleration, something like
>
> #if(clock >= .2)
> and using
> pow(ceil(..multiplier.. *(clock - .2),0,1),2)  (...I *think* this is right...)
>
> but also having to figure out what this block should be to smoothly reverse the
> process, for the deceleration. The pow(...) thing is needed for the smoothness
> of course, but it also makes it difficult to figure out the right value to use.
> Do you have a more elegant and controllable means to do this, that you simply
> plug in whenever it's needed?  Maybe one that I could steal?  ;-)

Why don't you use a spline to move the camera. You set the control
points according to where you want the camera to be at a given time. If
the control points are far apart, the amera move fast, if they are close
toggeder, the movment is slow, and if there are coincident points, the
camera stops.

You can use a second spline for the look_at point, with possibly a
control for the zooming or banking...
A direction length or angle can be included as a fourth vector component.

Alain