POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison) : Re: meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison) Server Time
16 May 2024 00:07:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison)
From: Alain
Date: 28 Jan 2013 16:51:46
Message: <5106f2f2$1@news.povray.org>

> John VanSickle <evi### [at] KOSHERhotmailcom> wrote:
>

>> I do however note that the moon is rotating much faster than any
>> spherical body will in real life.  The earth, for instance, rotates one
>> degree every four minutes.
>
> Just a fanciful depiction, to give a bit more life to the scene. But it makes me
> wonder if there are physical laws preventing such a body (Earth's moon, for
> example) from rotating that fast. Would it fly apart?
>
> Neutron stars are known to rotate extremely rapidly. But then again, they are
> extremely dense, with tremendous gravitational forces holding them together.
>
> Off topic: It would be interesting to know what a neutron star 'looks like' if
> we could actually see one CU through a telescope. Since it's only neutrons (no
> full atoms with electrons), and since light is an electromagnetic phenomenon,
> what happens when a photon impinges on it? Light needs electrons to 'react' with
> when it hits an object, AFAIU. An interesting 'thought experiment.'

If a body spin to fast, it won't be able to condense into a planet or
moon. There is a point where it can, theoreticaly, form into an almost
pancake shape...
If it get accelerated, by some obscure mean, it can fly apart.

For the neutron star, you'll see the incandecent gaz cloud that could be
called it's athmosphere, or have degenerated into a solid crust but
still stay "normal" matter.
If you where to remove that outer layer to reveal the all neutron core,
well, it may be perfectly transparent, only detectable by the
gravitational bending of light... There is also the possibility that
there is not enough place for the photons to squeeze through. What appen
when a photon hit a neutron square on? There could be some reflection...

Alain