POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Could Pov-Ray render these dark edge lines? : Re: Could Pov-Ray render these dark edge lines? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:33:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Could Pov-Ray render these dark edge lines?
From: clipka
Date: 21 Jan 2013 09:07:35
Message: <50fd4ba7$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.01.2013 14:32, schrieb edgestone:
> In solidworks and some other 3D software, the edge lines (normally in the color
> of black) of an assembly can be shown to give clear boundary of parts. I
> appreciate any help on if Pov-ray could render these dark edge lines, and how.

It's not supported out of the box, but this is how I'd tackle it:

- Render the assembly with a transparent background.

- Convert the transparency channel into a black-and-white image (black
assembly, white background)

- Overlay multiple slightly translated copies of the BW image, (A) in
multiplicative mode (giving you a slightly larger black-on-white
silhouette of the assembly) and (B) in additive mode (giving you a
slightly smaller black-on-white silhouette).

- Invert the image from (B) (giving you a slightly smaller
white-on-black silhouette).

- Overlay the images (A) and (B) in additive mode (giving you a
black-on-white outline of the assembly).

- Overlay the resulting image with the original assembly render, in
multiplicative mode (giving you a black-outlined image of the assembly).