POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison) : Re: meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison) Server Time
14 May 2024 22:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: meteor fly-through (and motion-blur comparison)
From: clipka
Date: 18 Jan 2013 02:07:15
Message: <50f8f4a3@news.povray.org>
Am 18.01.2013 06:10, schrieb Kenneth:

>> Display of HDRI images is quite simple, too: Essentially you /can't/
>> display them. There aren't any displays out there that would provide the
>> necessary dynamic range.
>
> I thought I read somewhere (or maybe not!) that a very specialized display was
> available to do that. Maybe in scientific circles; can't remember where I saw
> it. Perhaps just wishful thinking!

Might be. Not for mortals though.

> I've been wondering about the latest whiz-bang flat panel monitors, with their
> supposed 10-gazillion-to-1 contrast ratios: whether or not that would suffice to
> show HDR images raw. But I suppose the internal circuitry still works in the
> standard 8-bit-per-channel way. Not to mention the extreme brightness levels
> that would be required of the pixels as well.

I guess the best they do is 12 pits per channel. And that high contrast
is usually not within a single frame, but between successive frames.
Essentially it just tells you how much they automatically dim the
backlight in dark scenes.

There are displays that can dim the backlight locally, giving them a
comparatively high contrast between parts of a single scene - but even
there it is used solely to get the "black" level down in dark parts of
the scene.