POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Obtaining Depth while using Anti-aliasing : Re: Obtaining Depth while using Anti-aliasing Server Time
22 Jun 2024 22:10:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Obtaining Depth while using Anti-aliasing
From: clipka
Date: 12 Jan 2013 11:42:15
Message: <50f19267@news.povray.org>
Am 12.01.2013 17:00, schrieb handos:

> I tried inverting the z direction (direction -z in povray code) but I observed
> same thing. I can't quite figure out why the depth values that are parallel to
> the optical axis seem to register images properly than the ones that are Y axis.
> I'm surprised even that the ceiling is aligned.

Your camera movement in this example is (more or less) limited to the
left/right direction, i.e. parallel to the unaffected walls. So if your
algorithm makes some mistakes in calculating the absolute position of
the ceiling or rear wall, it will make the same mistake in both images.
It may actually match the wrong points, but those points will be roughly
at the same distance and hence the mismatch won't be detected.

This is why I suggest to repeat the experiment with (2) an up/down
camera movement, and (3) a front/back movement, instead of the
left/right movement. Your algorithm's reaction to those different
scenarios might give important clues where to look for the error.
Likewise, repeating those three experiments with the camera facing in
the +X direction might also give valuable insight.