POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : focal blur only using HexGrid2Size? : Re: focal blur only using HexGrid2Size? Server Time
2 May 2024 00:37:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: focal blur only using HexGrid2Size?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 10 Jan 2013 14:48:45
Message: <50ef1b1d$1@news.povray.org>
Le 10/01/2013 18:57, John nous fit lire :
> When I blur a sphere, it looks like HexGrid2Size is used regardless of
> camera.Blur_Samples (see tracepixel.cpp). That is, far enough out-of-focus I see
> only the first hexagonal pattern with a center defined by static const Vector2d
> HexGrid2[HexGrid2Size]. I would expect to see the 19 and 37 grids for
> blur_samples >= 19 and 37 respectively. With blur_samples 7, it looks correct,
> i.e. it's using HexGrid2Size. I don't think the huge-ish sphere distance makes
> any difference, i.e. you can see this with closer objects. I see this in
> 3.7.0RC6 Unofficial (Universal 64 bit) Dec 14 2012, but I think official 3.6
> Linux does it too. Here's a sample

I just tested your scenes (with 7,19 & 37)... the images are differents.
(done with latest code of 3.7), so it seems ok.

The grid for 7 is a classical grid of hexagone, diameter 3.
The grid for 19 is a first level of the grid of 7, second level of 6
points between the 6 external points and finaly another set of 6
intermediate. (so a classical grid of hexagone, diameter 5)
The grid of 37 is a grid of hexagone, diameter 7.
(they follow the progression of centered hexagonal number: 1, 7, 19, 37;
next would be 61, 91, 127, 169)

Your scene has the sphere really out of focus, so it might happen that
only the inner grid of 19 & 37 actually hit the sphere, and that looks
like the the grid of 7.

Try it with:

   focal_point <0,80000, 0> // less out-of-focus
}

sphere { <0, 100000, 0>, 1
   texture {
   pigment { checker color Red scale 1/3}