POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Obtaining Depth while using Anti-aliasing : Re: Obtaining Depth while using Anti-aliasing Server Time
22 Jun 2024 21:30:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Obtaining Depth while using Anti-aliasing
From: clipka
Date: 10 Jan 2013 02:17:37
Message: <50ee6b11@news.povray.org>
Am 09.01.2013 21:28, schrieb handos:

> The first image (1,1) shows the registration of second image (called I_ref) with
> the image at the bottom (called I_test). The black areas are marked as pixels
> where the registration of I_ref with I_test (forward registraion) and
> registraiton of I_test and I_ref (backwards registration) does not agree - this
> could be pixels that are occluded etc. But I can't see why the plane at the
> right is blacked! It shows that there is error in obtaining depth, isn't it? I
> am wondering if someone will be able to help me fix the depth-map code in
> tracetask.cpp / tracepixel.cpp files to make sure that I get expected results.
>
> Apologies if this is something hard to understand for first time. I can
> re-explain that!

Please do, as I have no idea what that "registration" thing is you're
talking about.

Does "That Thing You Are Doing" work if you're not using anti-aliasing?
Maybe the problem is in "That Thing" rather than in your modified
version of POV-Ray.

Posting the depth maps associated with the ref & test images might also
help.

(BTW, is there a specific reason you're limiting yourself to B&W with
those images? I mean, you could make the non-agreeing regions stand out
better if you used red, for instance. Or show the ref image in the green
channel and the test image in the red channel. Fun stuff like that,
which might help get a clearer picture - literally - of what is
happening here.)

Staring at those images I get a hunch that you're doing something
fundamentally wrong with "That Thing You Are Doing". From the pictures I
gather that they are shot in the same direction but with some lateral
translation of the camera, i.e. there's something going on with a
parallax; I have a gut feeling that you're not taking that parallax into
account the way you would need to.

(You /are/ aware that the depth computed during POV-Ray's tracing is
/not/ some kind of "Z coodinate in camera space", but the raw distance
to the camera, right?)