POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : octrees : Re: octrees Server Time
1 Jun 2024 03:34:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: octrees
From: clipka
Date: 7 Jan 2013 15:23:04
Message: <50eb2ea8@news.povray.org>
Am 07.01.2013 19:58, schrieb Bruno Cabasson:

> Recently looking (for curiosity) at acceleration structures, I am wondering how
> would a relatively small complex object within a relatively large scene be
> stored in an octree if centered (bbox includes origin). How would the object's
> components be stored? Is a centered object stored at the root of the octree?
> Some precisions would be welcome.

That would depend on how you'd align the octree with coordinate space.

The question is somewhat off-topic though, as POV-Ray does not use an
octree for bounding. Instead, you have the choice between a hierarchy of
bounding boxes (old mechanism), or a BSP tree with coordinate-aligned
partition planes (almost a kd-tree, except that partition planes are
chosen dynamically at every node).

AFAIK the only place where POV-Ray uses an octree is for storing
radiosity samples.