POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Create heightmap from contour lines : Create heightmap from contour lines Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  Create heightmap from contour lines
From: scott
Date: 2 Jan 2013 05:13:40
Message: <50e40854$1@news.povray.org>
Not specifically for POV but I'm after a method to create a heightmap
from a contour map. All I have available is the map showing contours of
constant height, I have traced these and made them into arrays of points
but I can't figure out a way to generate a height map from this.

I tried already for each point interpolating between the two nearest
contours but it leads to not a very smooth result (jumps and sharp
angles). Does anyone know a better way to do this that would lead to a
smooth looking surface?