POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Vector comparison : Re: Vector comparison Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vector comparison
From: clipka
Date: 2 Jan 2013 04:02:43
Message: <50e3f7b3@news.povray.org>
Am 30.12.2012 07:14, schrieb Kenneth:

> It raises a question in my mind, though: Given a particular math equation on an
> unchanging set of values, are the floating point errors always the same? As in,
> frame-by-frame animation?

Depends.

The floating point errors are deterministic, so with one and the same
POV-Ray build they are always the same from frame to frame.

However, they may differ between builds, depending on floating point
compiler settings; for instance, the old x87 instruction set allows for
either 64-bit or 80-bit interim results, while SSE2 always uses 64-bit;
and depending on optimization settings, very small numbers may or may
not be truncated to zero. So if you split up an animation on a
heterogenous render farm, results may differ between frames. (This is
true for both SDL math and the actual render math.)