POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : povray output as a film/CCD : Re: Plenoptic camera (was: povray output as a film/CCD) Server Time
28 Sep 2024 07:39:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plenoptic camera (was: povray output as a film/CCD)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 28 Dec 2012 11:30:23
Message: <50ddc91f$1@news.povray.org>

> I'll look more into the mesh camera. My goal is to simulate the Lytro camera
> which consists of a lens and a micro lens array in front of the CCD. Once I get
> the simulated CCD image I plan to use matlab for performing digital refocusing.
> Do you think this is feasible using POV-Ray...?

   Well, at the time I didn't know what the $%&$& you were talking
about... and surely I was busy enough to get interested on "yet another
POV-Ray experiment" that sounded like too difficult. :)

   But now, I recently received a personal request to help with this
very same subject, and the fact is that this time I got interested...
I'm not sure why. So, I did a bit of my usual chaotic research, and
finally figured out something that looks like a solution, using the mesh
camera of course.

   See the result on p.b.images, which I think simulates the raw output
of a plenoptic camera (like the Lytro), or so I think... because I can't
say for sure: the info on plenoptic cameras is either very dense or too
superficial, and seems there is no available software to try myself that
"refocusing" thing on my images.

   In case anyone is interested, here are the sources:

http://www.ignorancia.org/en/uploads/experiments/plenoptic/plenoptic-camera-2.zip

   I would appreciate if someone with real knowledge on the matter could
tell me if I got it right, or at least not totally wrong...

   Regards,

--
Jaime