POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Copyright issues : Re: Copyright issues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:30:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyright issues
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Dec 2012 04:39:34
Message: <50d822d6$1@news.povray.org>
On 24-12-2012 9:08, MichaelJF wrote:
> The wikipedia solves the riddle with the named buildings and yes the Atomium at
> Brussels was one of the objects, I had forgotten. Look for "Freedom of panorama"
> in the English wikipedia.
>
> For the practices of this vulture lawers look for the German (!) word
> "Abmahnung" within the same source.
>
> Sometimes an answer is closer at hand, as expected.

Thanks indeed for the info. This is very comprehensive. While the basis
for the copyright use may be sound and understandable in "normal"
circumstances, including the "Abmahnung" on internet for the protection
of private interest (I think Stephen was hinting in that direction), it
seems to me that excesses are prone to happen as is shown by a couple of
examples cited in the source. I am afraid that often either greed is the
real motive behind some of the actions, or simply misunderstanding of
the rules to sheer and blind enforcement of authority in the case of
anti-terrorism. My confidence in humankind is not excessively large...

Thomas

PS I am afraid we are slowly drifting into the OT region now. However,
going back to POV-Ray, what about modelling of Eifel Tower or Atomium?