POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Copyright issues : Re: Copyright issues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyright issues
From: Alain
Date: 22 Dec 2012 22:08:32
Message: <50d675b0$1@news.povray.org>

> On 12/22/2012 1:11 AM, Warp wrote:
>> MichaelJF <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>>> the Statue of Liberty, New York
>>
>> Author died over a hundred years ago. I don't think any law anywhere in
>> the world supports the idea of re-copyrighting a work of art in the
>> public domain.
>>
> Uh, actually, I think that one of the court rulings recently
> specifically said that this *was* possible:
>
> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/01/scotus-re-copyright-decision/

It's may be done, in the USA, when a work is STILL copyrighted in some
other countrys, but was made public domain in the USA under USA laws.
In this case, it mean complying with the Berne Convention
for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.

Any work that is deemed public domain in  the country of origin and the
USA will stay in the public domain.

Copyright is not applicable when a work appears in literaly millions of
paintings, photos, drawings, derivative works, books, TV shows, films,
on-line repositories,...

Alain