POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Copyright issues : Re: Copyright issues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyright issues
From: Alain
Date: 22 Dec 2012 14:28:14
Message: <50d609ce$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi all,
>
> some weeks ago I learned that depicting certain public buildings is not allowed
> due to copyright issues. One cannot depict the Eiffel-tower with his laserlights
> since they are copyrighted to the artist who created the lights. Even the
> depicting of the Sidney opera, or of the Statue of Liberty, New York, should be
> forbidden. I can not really believe this, since we have the "Freedom of
> panorama". But I'm no lawyer. What do you know or think of this?
>
> Best regards,
> Michael

Any copyright for the Eifel tower or the Statue of liberty is long expired.
There may be a copyright on a recent laser creation, but it will only
comes into play for night-time photos, and then, only for comercial
ones. Normaly, an artistic representation of a work of art is deemed
fair use. Same for educational or demonstration purpose.
For the Sidney opera, it's a public building and a local icon. You
should be safe. There are literaly tousands of photos all around the
world showing it from every angles...