POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Copyright issues : Re: Copyright issues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:31:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copyright issues
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 21 Dec 2012 16:45:46
Message: <50d4d88a$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi all,
>
> some weeks ago I learned that depicting certain public buildings is
> not allowed due to copyright issues. One cannot depict the
> Eiffel-tower with his laserlights since they are copyrighted to the
> artist who created the lights. Even the depicting of the Sidney
> opera, or of the Statue of Liberty, New York, should be forbidden. I
> can not really believe this, since we have the "Freedom of panorama".
> But I'm no lawyer. What do you know or think of this?

   IANAL too, but my first guess is that these issues refer only to
photographs, and only if you tried to use them commercially. A little
research seems to confirm that:

http://asmp.org/tutorials/photos-public-buildings.html#.UNTYYPl385Y
http://thecopyrightzone.com/?p=458

   But as usual with IP, you never can be sure until someone sues you...
and perhaps not even so.

--
Jaime