POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The cake is a lie, but... : Re: The cake is a lie, but... Server Time
2 Jun 2024 14:01:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The cake is a lie, but...
From: clipka
Date: 10 Dec 2012 18:26:55
Message: <50c66fbf$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.12.2012 20:01, schrieb Warp:
>> Someone already tried the compiling part some months ago, only to find
>> that although it did compile and even run, the results weren't
>> satisfactory (as in, the output included artifacts that shouldn't have
>> been there).
>
>> That's when I decided to order one myself.
>
>> So yes, it /is/ "porting" this time.
>
> Sounds more like bug-fixing rather than porting, unless it really is
> something that has to be modified because the platform, for some strange
> reason, works differently from all other platforms. Which would sound
> really strange given that it runs Linux and BSD...

Not so strange if you recall that the porting work for Linux (and
probably also BSD) to run on ARM platforms had been done already.

One possible difference might be the floating point math, which doesn't
seem to be as straightforward as we're used to on x86 machines. I guess
there is /some/ reason why the official reference Linux distro for the
Pi is built to use software-emulated floating point math, rather than
the on-chip floating point hardware.

Even if it turns out that there's nothing else to do, there's still
porting work to be done in the sense of checking whether the
platform-specific header files make sense for the ARM.