POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Memory Leak During Animations (v3.7.0 rc6, win7) : Re: Memory Leak During Animations (v3.7.0 rc6, win7) Server Time
28 Apr 2024 15:31:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory Leak During Animations (v3.7.0 rc6, win7)
From: clipka
Date: 5 Dec 2012 08:03:42
Message: <50bf462e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.12.2012 02:34, schrieb Kenneth:

>> ...Instead you are simply observing that, without
>> bounding, render time is very high when object count is high.
>
> Hmm, I didn't know that. I assumed that a 'normal' slowdown would just be the
> (miniscule) accumulation of the 900-byte-per-sphere memory increases per frame,
> irrespective of Bounding working or not.  Didn't realize how *important*
> Bounding is to a faster render!

Memory consumption (as such) has no significant impact on render time,
as long as you don't run out of physical memory. (And if you do, your
render will typically die a sudden death, and drag your whole system
down to swap hell if you're running Windows.)

Then again, high memory consumption is usually caused by high object
count, and the object count /does/ affect render time.

If it wasn't for bounding, render time would be roughly proportional to
something between the object count N (in very sparsely populated scenes,
or if you're using shadowless lights) and N^2 (in densely populated
scenes with shadows). Bounding should cut that down to something between
c*log(N) and (c*log(N))^2, with some constant c. For large scenes that's
an epic win, almost irregardless of the factor c.