POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : One more time: tessellation? : Re: One more time: tessellation? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One more time: tessellation?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Nov 2012 16:28:19
Message: <50b3def3@news.povray.org>
On 11/26/2012 12:25 AM, scott wrote:
>> Damn 3D apps are like that too. There is this site, its all engineer
>> types, and the objects are free, though there may be restrictions on
>> some usage:
>>
>> http://grabcad.com
>
> Useful link, thanks. Your only real bet for POV use is the STL files,
> they are just triangle meshes and there is a converter stl2pov. For the
> STEP files you'll probably need something paid, as it's not trivial to
> mesh a STEP file...

lol Its not even about POV use, its "use in general". There are a fair
number of "standard" formats, which can be used by everything from
Blender, to even the simple Erlang based Wings3D, to their own "high
end" expensive CAD application. Yet, invariably, way too many of the
things, and not just on this site, but others, are in some format you
can't use. I had to, recently, download a demo copy of 3D Studio Max,
because instead of outputting their "free" mesh in .3ds (loadable in
many applications), they output it in .max (usable only *in* Max).

Makes you seriously wonder, do these people not use anything else, or
ever tried cheaper/free alternatives? Sigh...