POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : One more time: tessellation? : Re: One more time: tessellation? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:14:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One more time: tessellation?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 19 Nov 2012 05:01:27
Message: <50aa0377@news.povray.org>

> Maybe one way to get good tesselation would be to implement
> tesselation rules for each primitive, plus some algorithm to do CSG
> on meshes. Add to that a feature to dump any given object from SDL
> back into an .inc file (which would be a very neat feature of its
> own), use PoseRay to convert that .inc file to .obj, and we should
> be there.

   Oops... yes, an ".inc dump" feature would be needed. I linked to Le
Forgeron "Mesh from and to file" experiments without noticing he used
the GTS format, which is not supported by Poseray.

   As for the tessellation itself, for my simulation purposes I guess it
would be enough with a general implementation. It doesn't need to be
nice, just close enough in shape. For the most complex objects you would
just increase the accuracy parameter to not miss important shape
features... it if gets slow, it doesn't really matter much, as you will
tessellate it only one time.

--
Jaime