POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Generating a lookup table from a scene : Re: Generating a lookup table from a scene Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Generating a lookup table from a scene
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 11 Nov 2012 17:22:03
Message: <50a0250b$1@news.povray.org>
Eric Kulcyk wrote:

> I have a scene with a ground plane and a cone hanging in mid-air, which is a
> perfect mirror.  My camera is pointed up at the mirror.  I would like to
> determine, for a given pixel on the ground plane, which pixel (if any) it
> corresponds to in the image, forming a lookup table.  Is there any way to do
> this?

if the setup is such that you can restrict yourself to a finite
rectangle in the plane, choose that rectangle and apply two color
gradients to it, such that red goes from 0 to 1 in x direction,
and blue goes from 0 to 1 in z direction (so your corners are
black, red, blue, magenta).

In the rendered image, the red and blue channels will contain the
originating coordinates after appropriate scaling. you need to use
a 16 bit output format to represnt more than 256 coordinate steps.