POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Generating a lookup table from a scene : Re: Generating a lookup table from a scene Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Generating a lookup table from a scene
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 11 Nov 2012 05:05:52
Message: <509f7880$1@news.povray.org>
Le 11/11/2012 10:24, Eric Kulcyk nous fit lire :
> Hello,
>
> I have a scene with a ground plane and a cone hanging in mid-air, which is a
> perfect mirror.  My camera is pointed up at the mirror.  I would like to
> determine, for a given pixel on the ground plane, which pixel (if any) it
> corresponds to in the image, forming a lookup table.  Is there any way to do
> this?

Greetings,

There is no pixel on the plane.
There is "spot" on the plane, which would provide pixels on the image.

One possible, brute force, solution would be to use a non-repeating
pattern (like spherical, or boxed), that you would move around on the
plane on different renders.

Now, if you only have these 2 objects and that camera (fixed), it might
just be simpler to *just do the maths*. Linear optics is not that hard
with ruled surfaces. Once you get the equation/formula, either code them
for usage, or have them generate your lookup table.