POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : the read-directive : Re: the read-directive Server Time
1 Jun 2024 14:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the read-directive
From: clipka
Date: 22 Oct 2012 14:07:33
Message: <50858b65$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.10.2012 10:39, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
> Le 19/10/2012 06:53, Tim Cook nous fit lire :
>> How about adding a #binaryread command or something, that's supplementary?
>
> what would be the usage of it ?
> I mean, the SDL is able to handle floating point, vector up to 5
> dimensions of floating point, and string of text (and I might be
> forgetting some things like square matrix). It cannot handle a binary
> blob like a PNG or JPG image or a collection of traced photons directly
> (not in a generic way for more manipulation)

Note that text can only be read if placed between quotes. Hence you
can't even read (and parse) arbitrary ASCII text files, which I think is
a pretty essential feature when it comes to importing data from other
programs.

(As a matter of fact, POV-Ray SDL is better at retrieving data from PNG
or JPG images than it is at retrieving data from well-formed CSV files.
After all, with image files it's just a matter of defining an image_map
pigment and retrieving the data with eval_pigment, while retrieval from
a normal CSV file typically fails because POV-Ray needs trailing commas.)