POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Skyrim (and beyond) : Re: Skyrim (and beyond) Server Time
16 Jul 2024 06:30:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Skyrim (and beyond)
From: Tim Cook
Date: 19 Oct 2012 22:47:15
Message: <508210b3$1@news.povray.org>
On 2012-10-19 15:34, Samuel Benge wrote:
> It's looking good, Tim. Seems like it would be a fun place to explore. Are the
> elevation lines in sync with Skyrim's sense of altitude?

The in-game scale is 128 units = 6 feet, and the Throat of the World
being at 21600 units above sea level.  That comes to 1012.5 feet...a bit
short (Mt. Everest (er, Qomolongma) is 4.7 miles).

HOWEVER, if you look at the scale of things /along the ground/, the
horizontal distance between Dawnstar and Winterhold is about 61350
units.  That'd be 2867 feet (bit over half a mile).  Per canon (near as
I can tell, if this other map is accurate), it should be about 75 miles.
  So horizontally it's off by let's say a factor of 40 (I'd previously
calculated it to 10, so need to fix my scale), and if you scale up the
verticals by the same amount, that puts the Throat of the World at 7.67
miles.  So...let's say vertical exaggeration of 25x, puts the highest
peak on Nirn at 4.79 miles, and the lowest depth (on the map I have) at
25290 units below sea level, or 5.61 miles adjusting for the 25x factor
(Challenger Deep on Earth is 6.85 miles).

So I need to rerender after figuring...  Total altitude range is 46890
units, which ends up being 54949 feet...let's say 55,000 feet.  Calling
the macro with 11 would give 5000-foot indexes.  (Had used 13 and change
on my current version).

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.sjcook.com