POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Macros and scenes for theatre sets and lighting : Re: Macros and scenes for theatre sets and lighting Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Macros and scenes for theatre sets and lighting
From: Alain
Date: 18 Oct 2012 21:58:40
Message: <5080b3d0$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi Chris,
>
> I'm a 3rd year Computer Science student at Swansea University doing a Graphics
> module using POV-Ray. One of our assignments is to create a 'realistic
> environment' of some kind, and I am interested in modelling a theatre, with
> emphasis on lighting.
>
> Are your .inc and .pov libraries available anywhere that I may be able to
> download and implement them into my model?
>
> Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan.

Emphasis on lighting mean using fading light. Use fade_power 2 and a
short fade_distance. Next, increase the light's intensity a LOT. You can
set a light_source colour in the thousands without any problem. A fading
light at 100 unit distance need a strenght of 10000 (100^2) to have an
illumination of 1.
Simply multiply the light intencity by the square of the distance to the
target surface/object.
Take a look at the lightsys include.

In a theater, you'll need mostly spotlights.

Using some area_light greatly help making things more beleivable. Use
adaptive to cut down on the rendering time. Use relatively large values
for the array, something like 9, 17, 33 or even 65 or more.
Use adaptive 0 for a starter. If there are dark areas that should be
lighted, or bright areas that should be dim, use adaptive 1 or 2 on the
problem light.

If you feel courageous and have the time, play with radiosity. It adds a
lot of realism.

If you have reflective or refractive objects, using photons allow the
light to be reflected or refracted realisticaly.

I encourage you to jump straight to version 3.7 RC6. You'll find it on

Alain