POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Alphabet blocks : Re: Alphabet blocks Server Time
2 May 2024 15:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alphabet blocks
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 1 Oct 2012 04:36:42
Message: <5069561a$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/09/12 18:33, Alain wrote:
> Try doing a first animation phase with only, maybe, 10 to 15 frames
> use some focal blur with a large aperture and low samples count
> during that step. Also, use a smaller resolution and pretrace_end
> 2/image_width low_error_factor 0.2. If the camera move, this pass
> may possibly omit the moving objects.
>
> Then, do your full animation, but only load the saved radiosity
> data, don't save any.
>
> That way, you'll limit the size of the radiosity data file while
> benefiting from over-sampling to remove the flicker.

   Works! Not perfect, but mitigates greatly the most annoying
flicker-artifacts: the ones on parts that don't move, which are the most
noticeable (if something is moving quickly you don't get to notice the
artifacts).

   What I did was to use a "dummy" version of the animation: just plain
colors and basic shapes, so that it renders very fast. I didn't skip any
frames, just used the full sequence at the same final resolution, using
both +RFI and +RFO.

   As you predicted, later you just need to use +RFI with the resulting
file, and the artifacts get much less noticeable. I just tried with a
quick test, but it should work fine again tonight with the final focal
blur and area light settings.

   One thing worth to note is that I still had to use +HR for this work,
otherwise the flickering appears anyhow.

   Thanks for the tips, Alain... very useful as usual.

--
Jaime