POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Alphabet blocks : Re: Alphabet blocks Server Time
2 May 2024 22:46:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alphabet blocks
From: Warp
Date: 28 Sep 2012 16:00:45
Message: <506601ec@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
>    But I had a wild idea... I think someone suggested it sometime ago,
> but I don't know if anyone ever tested it: saving/loading radiosity from
> one frame to frame, by using both +RFI and +RFO for every frame. I just
> did a quick test, and the flickering seems much less noticeable... but
> perhaps is my imagination: will render the final animation tonight and
> report back.

Are you sure that works properly?

While I'm not 100% sure of how the radiosity algorithm works exactly,
I have the impression that once a sample has been calculated, it's never
recalculated again. The only thing that's possibly done is calculating
more samples around it.

This works for a static scene (where only the camera may move), but it
shouldn't work very well for a changing scene (because if the scene changes,
there will be lots of wrong samples that will not get recalculated
properly).

If it works like that, I expect the radiosity to become blotchier and
blotchier as the animation goes and the scene changes more and more,
until it becomes a horrible mess of old wrong samples being interspersed
with newer more correct ones. But I might be wrong.

--
                                                          - Warp