POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Alphabet blocks : Re: Alphabet blocks Server Time
2 May 2024 18:39:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alphabet blocks
From: Alain
Date: 28 Sep 2012 12:33:26
Message: <5065d156$1@news.povray.org>

> On 28/09/12 04:19, Alain wrote:
>> I did try that once, but must have badly chosen my animation. It
>> caused a crash as the radiosity data kept growing to exceede the
>> capacity of my computer...
>
>    Hmmm... exactly what happened here, except for the crash. The rad file
> was 160KB for the first frame, and now it's 85MB at frame 166 of 389, 9
> hours later. It seems to be slowing down the rendering a lot, as last
> time, this exact same animation did render completely under 8 hours... a
> shame, because it seems to be getting ride of the flicker for non-moving
> parts of the scene.
>
> --
> Jaime

In my case, the radiosity data managed to reatch around 3 Gb, on a 32
bits system...

Try doing a first animation phase with only, maybe, 10 to 15 frames
some focal blur with a large aperture and low samples count during that
step. Also, use a smaller resolution and
pretrace_end 2/image_width low_error_factor 0.2.
If the camera move, this pass may possibly omit the moving objects.

Then, do your full animation, but only load the saved radiosity data,
don't save any.

That way, you'll limit the size of the radiosity data file while
benefiting from over-sampling to remove the flicker.

Alain