POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : subsurface and normals : Re: subsurface and normals Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:15:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: subsurface and normals
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 23 Sep 2012 14:45:09
Message: <505f58b5$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> To obtain a pure SSLT-to-diffuse "delta" image, you could render the
> scene once with only regular diffuse, and once with SSLT enabled, and
> from the resulting images generate a difference.

Instead, I tried to average a plain texture with normals and
the subsurface texture, but the results are not very convincing.
Probably because small bumps on the surface are the features that
should be most affected by subsurface lighting.

Isosurface it is, then ;) (see p.b.i)

Some additional problems I encountered:

1. I tried to set "mm_per_unit 100" in the global settings block,
but this yielded the parse error "Parse Error: No matching } in
'subsurface', mm_per_unit found instead".

2. I had trouble with the help in the windows editor:
- Pressing F1 only seems to work for some types of keywords (for
example, I could use it to get help for camera or subsurface, but not
for location, aperture, samples, or global_settings).
- Also, when the topic was not unique (e.g. camera), and the help
was not previously open, the topic selector did not close on display
or double click and moved to the background. In this situation the
the search/replace dialog will not open.