POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : light_group and photons : Re: light_group and photons Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:26:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: light_group and photons
From: Alain
Date: 20 Sep 2012 01:34:40
Message: <505aaaf0@news.povray.org>

> On 09/17/2012 07:28 AM, James Holsenback wrote:
>> Already tried that incantation. Still think photons and light_group is a
>> no go. I'll prepare a better example when I get a chance.
>
> OK ... below is a simplified scene used to show the problem I'm having.
> The scene is initially setup with the Key_Light as the photon source and
> /without/ the light_group ... it shows that indeed it does shoot photons
> properly.
>
> Now remove comments from around the light_group code in the Ring
> definition, and in the Key_Light change reflection/refraction from /on/
> to /off/ (now I want the Stone_Light to be the photon source) and see
> what I mean.
>
> Maybe not related but why does the stone shadow /still/ appear to be
> coming from the Key_Light and /not/ the Stone_Light ... I have
> global_lights set to off in the light_group!

It looks like photons from a light_group are indeed broken. They don't
even show on an added object added in the light_group placed to receive
them.

Any object can intercept light from any light and cause shadows. The
appartenance to a light_group don't change that.
Also, any object outside the light_group can cause shadow on an object
of a light_group if it's situated between the light and it's associated
object(s).

The only objects that don't cause shadows are those having an explicite
no_shadow attribute.
The only light that don't cause any shadow are shadowless ones. They
also never cause any highlight and, by default, never cast any photons.
I don't know if you can force a shadowless light to cast photons by
adding photons{refraction on reflection on}.

Remove caustics 1.0. It's only good at simulating caustics under a body
of water on a relatively flat and level surface.

There is no reason to remove the photons block in a non-photons scene or
in a test render without photons. In this case, the photons block will
simply be ignored.

In the global_settings, you must NOT use both spacing and count in the
photons block. Use only one OR the other.

autostop 1 is the same as not using autostop.