POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : light_group and photons : Re: light_group and photons Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: light_group and photons
From: Alain
Date: 16 Sep 2012 13:20:44
Message: <50560a6c$1@news.povray.org>

> Struggling a bit to light my amethyst ring (posted in p.b.images) and
> decided to try a light_group. I have:
>
> union {
>    light_group {
>      object { Stone material { StoneMaterial } hollow on }
>      light_source { Stone_Light }
>      #if (UsePhotons)
>        photons {target reflection on refraction on collect off }
>      #end
>      global_lights off
>      }
>    object { Band material { BandMaterial }
>    }
>
> The stone light has reflection/refraction set to on and the scene light
> has them turned off, but I get: Photon Warning: Could not save photon
> map - no photons!
>
> Is this even possible, or am I on a fools errand?

How can you shoot protons to the light_source?
I think that you should put the photons block with the Stone object and
have none for the actual light_source. The light will use the default
photons setting where both reflection and refraction are enabled.
By the way, unless your stone contains some media, the hollow attribute
is useless.

Alain