POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Baking dirt maps with the mesh camera : Re: Baking dirt maps with the mesh camera Server Time
18 May 2024 10:49:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baking dirt maps with the mesh camera
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Sep 2012 07:27:05
Message: <5049da09$1@news.povray.org>
On 7-9-2012 9:41, Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
>    First, let's see if I understand what you're trying to do...
>
>    So, you have an actual mesh model of a brick wall, properly uv mapped,
> and you want to bake some maps out of it? Does it have already the
> bricks and plaster layer as actual geometry?

The uv-mapped wall would be a simple, box-like geometry. Bricks and
plaster would consist of two different textures, bricks with an
image_map and plaster as a pigment pattern. In a more complex way, both
could be made of two different geometries of course (more naturalistic).

>    In general, you can mix several maps in one, or use separate maps,
> depending on the usage. For example, if the dirt on the bricks and the
> plaster is of the same color/texture, I would bake the occlusion map for
> both the bricks and the plaster on a single map. But if they should have
> different textures, I would bake them to separate maps, then layer one
> on top of the other.

I was thinking of dirt as identical for bricks and plaster. I shall have
to experiment with your suggestions.

Thanks Jaime! Some thoughts for experiment and thoughts.

Thomas