POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Baking dirt maps with the mesh camera : Re: Baking dirt maps with the mesh camera Server Time
17 May 2024 08:11:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baking dirt maps with the mesh camera
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 7 Sep 2012 03:41:24
Message: <5049a524$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/09/12 09:02, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> Consider a building. Walls consist of bricks, covered by a cracked
> plaster layer; the whole is covered with dirt (proximity pattern
> like). Traditionally, I would tackle that with a three-layered
> texture (in the simplest case).
>
> If I use the mesh camera, I could also bake the brick layer and then
> layer plaster and dirt, or could I bake separately the three layers
> and then superpose them? or successively bake one on top of the
> other? How would you go about this?

   First, let's see if I understand what you're trying to do...

   So, you have an actual mesh model of a brick wall, properly uv mapped,
and you want to bake some maps out of it? Does it have already the
bricks and plaster layer as actual geometry?

   In general, you can mix several maps in one, or use separate maps,
depending on the usage. For example, if the dirt on the bricks and the
plaster is of the same color/texture, I would bake the occlusion map for
both the bricks and the plaster on a single map. But if they should have
different textures, I would bake them to separate maps, then layer one
on top of the other.

--
Jaime