POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : working cycles - common techniques? : Re: working cycles - common techniques? Server Time
2 Jun 2024 14:42:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: working cycles - common techniques?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 6 Sep 2012 11:33:44
Message: <5048c258$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/09/12 17:14, bugbear wrote:
> At the moment, I'm just editing my file a lot, and I bounce from
> "fast mode" to "slow mode".
>
> All tips and experiences (and/or links) welcomed.

   I usually resort to have a lot of variables at the top of the file to
control all that, as for example:

#declare use_radiosity=0;
#declare use_area=0
#declare use_focalblur=0;

   ...and so on. Later, on the relevant code, I will use an if to use or
not use the feature.

   For textures, you can add another control variable, and then when you
define textures, use an if to create the simple and the complex ones:

#if(use_test_textures)
   #declare my_texture=texture{...simple texture...}
#else
   #declare my_texture=texture{...complex texture...}
#end

   The same applies to objects: you can use similar control variables to
render or not certain objects, or to use "dummy" versions of them
(placeholders).

   This way you can render only with the features you want, and using the
level of complexity you want. For the final render, you just set them
all on... (you can use a global control variable for that too).

--
Jaime