POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to make a simple CSG "readable" by humans : Re: How to make a simple CSG "readable" by humans Server Time
25 Jun 2024 23:41:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to make a simple CSG "readable" by humans
From: Alain
Date: 5 Sep 2012 17:20:52
Message: <5047c234$1@news.povray.org>

> I have now succeeded in making my povray file (my thanks to those who helped on
> my coordinate question).
>
> It's effectively a piece of parameter driven CAD, which results in a quite
> simple shape. It works correctly, but not well.
>
> As it stands, the shape is actually hard to make out and understand, since in
> the tiny POV file the lighting, textures and "environmental context" are all
> vestigial.
>
> Is there a standard context in which I could place my item, so that it's more
> "readable" to a normal human being?
>
>     BugBear

A simple, minimal, start point (copy and paste in your scene):

plane{y, -5 pigment{checker}} // A ground plane using default solours.
//Placed under the reference plane in case your object extend under it.

plane{-z, -100 pigment{checker rgb<1,1,0> rgb 0.3}}
// A back plane some distance away.

Those planes use the checker pattern. Each case is exactly one unit whide.
If those a to small or large, you can scale the pattern up or down as
needed. If you scale the planes, the location will also change.

You can also adjust the location of the planes. Change the value of the
number after the Y and Z.
---------------------------------------

Now, look at your objects textures. It may be a good idea to add some
elements like those: (you don't need to use them all)

Add some highlights:
specular 0.7 roughness 0.01 // Small = tight highlights
phong 0.7 phong_size 150 // Large = tight highlights
// It tends to greatly improve your feel of the shapes.
//You can use both or only one or the other.

Change the brilliance of the surface:
brilliance 1.5 // Makes the object looks more shiny. The illumination
// is more affected by the incident angle than default.
// values less than 1 are possible but greatly flatten things.
// a value of zero will make things look cartoonish...

In some cases, adding some reflection can help:
reflection{0.1 0.5}

Adding one or more dim, optionaly coloured, light can improve things:
light_source{<-1000,500,-10>rgb<0.001, 0.002, 0.3>}

Alain