POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Need help generating a cylindrical solid : Re: Need help generating a cylindrical solid Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help generating a cylindrical solid
From: Alain
Date: 5 Sep 2012 16:41:33
Message: <5047b8fd$1@news.povray.org>

> Christian Froeschlin <chr### [at] chrfrde> wrote:
>> Chaanakya wrote:
>>
>>> No, it's when I use almost the exact same code you gave me.  All I did was
>>> declare a new variable N (number of shells) and set it equal to 50.  If I set it
>>> to 10, it's perfectly fine.
>>
>> I tried with 3.6 and 3.7 using I < 50 (and D = 0.02*I) but did not see
>> any problem. Please post the exact scene and render settings used.
>
> I think the problem is there only if I do not use antialiasing.  Anyway, here's
> the code:

> Without antialiasing, this produces random little 'holes'.  However, I think
> that with antialiasing, it should be fine.
>
> Thanks again for all your help!
>
> - Chaanakya

When you use antialiasing, you take additional sub-samples in some
pixels and average them.
When you have any coincident surfaces, it cause lots of, semi-random,
noise. That noise trigger the antialiasing. The averaging of that noise
result in smaller dark pixels having a LOT less contrast. This
effectively hides most of the problem.

Alain