POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Filling a bottle with fluid : Re: Filling a bottle with fluid Server Time
4 May 2024 03:25:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Filling a bottle with fluid
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Aug 2012 10:32:52
Message: <50363f14$1@news.povray.org>
On 23-8-2012 14:38, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 23/08/2012 09:28, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
>>
>> In your code, I was surprised by the use of object{} within the density
>> block. I never thought of that, and I think it is not described as
>> option in the Docs (at least I cannot find it). It is comparable to
>> object pattern apparently; logical when considering it.
>
> Well, it is indeed the object pattern. syntax is a bit ambiguous
> regarding if "object { Foo ..." is actually :
>   1. a new instance of the object Foo
>   2. a pattern: object pattern using Foo

OK.

> It's context sensitive. Density wants a pattern and then a map.
> Excepted that a discontinuous pattern have no map, but a list:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Object_Pattern

This is fairly clear, although I had to think twice before understanding
what is meant by /list/. I am not as smart as I used to be ;-)

> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Media#Density_with_color_map

Again, for the less smart amongst us, using the term /Density List/
elsewhere than only in the title would help understanding. I think it
would be wise also to add /object/ to the list of (four!) list patterns
where they can be used in density. I would suggest the following
amendment to the relevant text:

Instead of:
[quote]Entire densities may also be used with the block patterns such as
checker, hexagon and brick.[/quote]

I would read:
[quote] Density lists may also be used with block patterns such as
checkers, hexagon and bricks, as well as the object pattern object.[/quote]

...or something equivalent if this is not strictly correct.

> Even if it does not cite object, the reference does:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Pigment#Color_List_Pigments

Indeed.

> PS: I had a little fight with cutaway_textures and the bug of 3.7
> regarding it. Hence it's not the obvious:
>
> difference {
>   union { A with texture
>           B with texture
>         }