POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Filling a bottle with fluid : Re: Filling a bottle with fluid Server Time
4 May 2024 04:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Filling a bottle with fluid
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 23 Aug 2012 08:38:10
Message: <50362432$1@news.povray.org>
Le 23/08/2012 09:28, Thomas de Groot a écrit :

> In your code, I was surprised by the use of object{} within the density
> block. I never thought of that, and I think it is not described as
> option in the Docs (at least I cannot find it). It is comparable to
> object pattern apparently; logical when considering it.

Well, it is indeed the object pattern. syntax is a bit ambiguous
regarding if "object { Foo ..." is actually :
 1. a new instance of the object Foo
 2. a pattern: object pattern using Foo

It's context sensitive. Density wants a pattern and then a map.
Excepted that a discontinuous pattern have no map, but a list:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Object_Pattern

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Media#Density_with_color_map

Even if it does not cite object, the reference does:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Pigment#Color_List_Pigments

PS: I had a little fight with cutaway_textures and the bug of 3.7
regarding it. Hence it's not the obvious:

difference {
 union { A with texture
         B with texture
       }